These Were The 10 Most Popular In The World In 2017
Just as he claimed the bestselling album in the world in 2017 with his massively popular third full-length ÷ (Divide), British prodigy Ed Sheeran has also nabbed the No. 1 spot on the ranking of the biggest songs on the planet last year with his unstoppable smash “Shape of You.” According to the IFPI’s Global Music Report 2018, the tropical pop smash moved 26.6 million equivalent units, which is a massive figure for any tune.
To put just how much of a true blockbuster “Shape of You” was in 2017 into perspective, the song moved more equivalent units than the bottom three titles combined, and about three and a half times as many as the No. 10 track, Imagine Dragons’ “Believer.”
Coming in a not-too-distant second place is “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. The report that ranked the 10 biggest songs of 2017 didn’t stipulate whether it was the original version or the remixed take featuring Justin Bieber, but chances are the two were combined, and the units they moved together were reported as one impressive number: 24.3 million units. In the months since 2017 ended, that sum has surely climbed above 25 million thanks to continued popularity.
Two artists managed to place a pair of hit singles on the ranking of the 10 most popular songs in the world last year. Both Ed Sheeran (“Shape of You” and “Perfect”) and The Chainsmokers (“Something Just Like This” and “Closer”) saw more than one track take over the planet. Amazingly, The Chainsmokers' “Closer” was a holdover from 2016, when it was also one of the most successful releases, while everything else featured on the list dropped in 2017. While he’s not named in the report attached to “Despacito,” Justin Bieber should also be able to claim two of the most beloved and most commercially viable tunes in the world in 2017, as he was featured on both the Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee cut and on DJ Khaled’s “I’m The One.”
Here are the 10 biggest songs in the world in 2017 and how many equivalent units they shifted.
1. Ed Sheeran - “Shape of You,” 26.6 million
2. Luis Fonsi - “Despacito (ft. Daddy Yankee),” 24.3 million
3. The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - “Something Just Like This,” 11.5 million
4. Bruno Mars - “That’s What I Like,” 9.7 million
5. The Chainsmokers - “Closer (ft. Halsey),” 9 million
6. Kendrick Lamar - “Humble.,” 8.3 million
7. Charlie Puth - “Attention,” 8.3 million
8. DJ Khaled - “I’m the One (ft. Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne, Chance the Rapper and Quavo),” 7.9 million
9. Ed Sheeran - “Perfect,” 7.9 million
10. Imagine Dragons - “Believer,” 7.8 million